Thursday, June 23, 2011

Guitar Lessons 6: Minimal Progress

I'm still working on making titles interesting.

So, there is yet to be a callus on my index finger from playing my first barre chord. There is another progressive guitar that I talk to sometimes and he said I wasn't pushing hard enough on the strings. I took advice and pushed my thumb into the neck so I would squeeze my finger harder into the strings. And alas, my finger hurt and this weird muscle in my thumb started getting sore. Well if there's one thing I've learned from guitar playing it's if it hurts, you're doing it right.

It's still a work in progress.

But I brought my guitar to school today so I could show my other guitar playing friend how terrible I am. The conclusion we've reached is that he's more of a finger strumming person and I'm more of a chord and pick person. And I can sing. After my hands stopped shaking I started playing "You Belong With Me" for practicing purposes. My friend was getting much more attention because finger strumming sounds way better than regular strumming even if you suck at both. I started getting more comfortable and sang the chorus to the song. It's not like anyone was watching me in particular so it wasn't as nerve racking. Then the person I knew that was sitting next to me turns and says, "I've never heard you sing before!" Then my guitar playing friend says, "I told you she was good."

Little things like that boost my self confidence. At this rate I'll be able to sing in front of small crowds by the age of..what...twenty?

Progress is minimal, but it's still progress.

On another note my eyes itch from allergies and summer started. Woot. Ok, I'm going back to Basshunter now.

No comments:

Post a Comment