Friday, October 22, 2010

Which is worse? The Cereal or Commercial?


 FORTIFIED WITH VITAMINS*
*vitamins are made of your imagination


Because 3 grams makes so much difference.
Yes, yes of course advertisements can’t straight out lie, but they certainly exaggerate. Just the other day I was eating carrot chips. Then my mom noticed that the package says is loaded with fiber. However, when you look at the package it had 2 grams of dietary fiber per serving. I don’t know about you, but when words like “fortified” and “loaded” are used, I expect at least 10 grams of the advertised substance.
Of course, we all love those sugary our mothers always scorned us about. So those commercials basically put words into the kids’ mouth to persuade the parent’s purchase.

“But Mommm! Fruit Loops is fortified with 3 grams of fiber per serving! They’re good for me!”
“Honey, do you know what fortified means?”
“Ummm…no…”
“It technically means it’s added in increase strength.”
“See? Fruit Loops will make me strong!”
“Do you know how much three grams is?”
“…No…”
“Very little. Now be quiet and eat your Coco Puffs. At least those have eight 
essential vitamins and minerals.”

In this day and age, this false advertising nonsense would be classified as a FAIL. An epic one at that.
The solution? Well, there isn’t really one. Because this is all for money, and when you try to take money from a big company, things get complicated and controversial. Besides, everything has a loophole and I don’t think there’s anyone intelligent/bold enough to ban or terminate all loopholes. Because when you get rid of loopholes, there’s always one you missed. Your loophole might have a loophole. Then you’d just get angry. See how silly this is becoming?
What’s that you say? You think I’m against sugary cereals? Ha! Don’t be ridiculous! I’d buy them if I could. I think the cereal choice for children, however, should be up to the parents until the child can regularly buy their own food. So what I think is funny is the ads. But imagine how boring life would be without ads to make us laugh?

No comments:

Post a Comment