Saturday, October 30, 2010

Oh The Horror!! *om nom nom nom*

Why is it that certain times of the year make ads change its tactic on selling? In the colder (and apparently scarier) months approaching, the packaging colors have turned to orange, black, and green. As a person who does not celebrate holidays, I am not particularly excited for the changes going on. I do, however, sit back and observe. This is what I have seen so far in the ways of advertising.
For one, the scarier the commercial, the better the product. Now, I'm not really sure why this is. The last thing I relate to hunger is fear, though I suppose gummy brains and teeth are gross enough to try, but only once a year. I actually have eaten some of the more obscure gummy candy, and I think the taste itself is pretty disgusting. I would assume more people taste the same way I do because I never see kids voluntarily eating that stuff after this time of year. Nor is it sold in the first place unless it's October.
This doesn't only apply to food though. The commercials for upcoming TV specials and movies get scarier every year. Sometimes, the movie itself isn't even really Halloween related at all, or not even that scary. And yet, they flash ghoulish images at the child's TV screen, hoping to actually get some views this year.
"And the little girl decided to GO TO THE CANDY STORE!! Mwahahaha! *flash of goblin's face for no reason* Will she ever find her way home, or will she be too TERRIFIED!?! Mwahahaha!" *flash of ghost for no reason*
Uhh...I think I've seen that...isn't it a comedy?
But I guess these ads have to be as ridiculously scary as possible, because if it's realistic scary, parents complain and the show is taken off the air only to be seen on YouTube for twenty million people to see. Which is so much better for kids anyway.
Another thing I find amusing, is that the really obscure things are sold around this time. The kind of stuff kids only want to buy if it's October. Because this month is not only "ask for candy" month, it's also "scare the daylights out of our closest friends and family" month, which is another thing I don't really understand. Amongst the TV specials and weird foods are little contraptions that are not only cool looking, they scare the pants off your five year old sister and make her cry. I don't really know why this is so appealing to kids as well as adults. I guess I just have never really been that into scaring people.

Finally, the packaging. Big Shopping Day was a couple days ago, which means my mom has acquired the snack foods for the month (which invariably only last two weeks). Amongst the other delicious snack treats I found these (left). I find so many things wrong with this tactic. First of all, it's Flash themed. Flash isn't scary. At all. I am really confused as to why this superhero is representing Hostess's Halloween based packaging.
Second (as noted in the lower picture), these cakes are marked as "scary." I don't know about you, but I wouldn't consider
any kind of food scary. Especially food that is Flash themed. I mean, really. But just like I said in the previous post, imagine how boring life would be without ads to make us laugh?
Before I leave you to go on to bigger and better things, I do have one question regarding this time of year. Maybe someone could fill me in on the origin of this:

Why are pumpkins associated with Halloween?

I am kind of intrigued by the concept of how certain traditions came to be so common. I'm wondering if anyone can fill me in because I'm clearly too lazy to look it up, but inspired enough to write down all this.
Humor me.

No comments:

Post a Comment